Sunday, February 03, 2008

Pace Of Life

We have been home exactly a week now--touching down in N'ville at just this time last Sunday. I have had more difficulty adjusting back to life here than I thought I would. Mainly because of jet lag, probably. And also because with two young boys spending 10 days away from us, there is a period of adjustment for them too.


We talked before we left Africa about reverse culture shock, and I think I understand it a little now. For instance, I went to the grocery store on Tuesday and just kept thinking about ALL THE FOOD AVAILABLE, pretty much anything I want I can buy. It is at my disposal. Contrast that with our day in the market there. This was a cultural experience for us. We were paired up with an English student from the University and sent to the market with a certain amount of money and a list of items to buy. Jeanne and I went with our new friend Fanta, who was incredibly sweet. We had items such as: a book of matches, flour, sugar, bananas. So, we headed out and Fanta translated for us. We had to go all through the market just to find these items--there was no "organization," so to speak. Or at least I didn't pick up on it. Anyway, we even had difficulty finding flour because they really don't use it much. It took quite a bit of explaining to Fanta as to what flour even was. Maybe that is a lame example, but it just reminds me of our more-than-plenty life here.

We spent a bit of time sitting and waiting, in various places. This is very typical in Africa, and very not typical here. It was actually refreshing. Nothing to do, and no way to rush things. We waited to meet most everyone we were "scheduled" to meet. And you always greet everyone, which takes time. But it gave us the opportunity to observe (and be observed!), to reflect, and to take it all in. Even though our time was quite full while we were there, it just had a relaxed feel to it all. I liked that. I think that has been something hard to get back into this week. Rush here, rush there, so much to get done in a day. I think we could learn a thing or two from our African friends and their culture.


I don't have too many pictures of us sitting around, but here we are in a village waiting to meet the ihmam. Jeanne got to hold his little girl. When he finally made it, we were invited to attend a wedding that he was going to. So, we didn't get to talk with him much, but we did get to experience a wedding!!
This is in that same village. Several girls came to get water from the well. Our guys were impressed with the girls, and thought they would give it a try. This is Scotty giving it a try. He was very cautious because the end of the rope wasn't tied down, and he did NOT want to have to get in the well and get the bucket out if he dropped it!!

I'm now off to watch the Super Bowl... more later.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think you've got the reverse culture shock down pretty good. All the things you said in your post about having to go to 4 or 5 or 6 or7 (you get the idea) shops (I won't even call them "stores") to find what you need.

Steve & I went to buy groceries this week and by the time we arrived back home we had stopped at 4 places and STILL needed eggs!! Girl, I had a headache and just wanted to lay down and sleep!

It is a hurry up and wait type of society too. Except for the hurry up part. We hurry, but we don't NEED to, then we have to wait! heehee! I think by the time we get home I will have the "whatever-whenever" attitude down and then I'll have to change all over again!

So glad you had such a good time and I am checking all of your blogs for the latest pics!

Much love!

lauraknight said...

Love reading about your trip and seeing the pictures. Keep it coming!!

Ruth said...

LOved the pictures. Glad you got to experience that but I am also glad you are all home safe and sound.