Monday, March 03, 2008

worry

Do you worry? Do your kids worry? Well, it seems we have a worrier. This isn't really news, but days like today remind me of it.

I BRIEFLY turned the TV on to see the weather and if I was going to be able to grill out tonight. In the two minutes (literally) that it was on, I saw the worry creeping in. I guess it is a combination of things. Here are a few factors I believe:
1. he has a great-grandma that worries about everything
2. we have watched a few episodes of Extreme Home with tornado damage to the house
3. we have seen coverage of the recent tornado damage
4. one of his parents was afraid of tornados as a kid (I'll not mention which one)

So, I could tell he was worried. He kept looking out the window and asking me if there was a tornado. Then he was asking about where daddy was. It was quite a pitiful look on his face.

I immediately asked him who protects us. He wouldn't answer. He started to tear up and turn away--typical. I made him come sit in my lap and reminded him that God protects us and keeps us safe. I then asked him if he trusted me. I had to remind him what trust means. He said he did. He told me how much I loved him (this much and more, with arms outstretched). I told him that Jesus loves him even more than that and he always protects us.

We ended by telling each other "NO WORRIES!"

But he still sat in my lap for a while.

And I let him.

2 comments:

Laura said...

First of all, I love the picture of the 3 boys!

I am terrified of storms, and it seems that has rubbed off onto the girls. If it even starts to thunder or lightning a little bit, the girls start asking if we need to go to the basement! I want them to have a healthy fear of storms so that they know what to do and aren't stupid about it, but I don't want them to be completely terrified either!

I hope the weather isn't bad tonight!

Jeanne said...

Awe, sweet boy! You handled that situation like a Mommy Pro! Great answers to help settle his fear!