I guess I knew this day would come, but I have truly been in denial. I really want Eli to be potty trained, I do, but I just want every public bathroom I ever enter to be as clean as a whistle (as Eli says). I have this "thing" with public restrooms anyway(ALWAYS squat, NEVER sit was ingrained in me very early) and the thought of putting my precious little child on one knowing full well his hands will be everywhere touching everything just about sends me over the gag edge! I had my first experience in which I had to just get over it this week. Why I chose Wednesday to do the big boy underwear thing I don't know, but I did. Eli had done so well all day, so we headed to Target and then to church with only big boy undies on--not even a change of clothes--what was I thinking?? So, we're at the red light real close to Target and Eli says, "Mommy, I'm peeing, I'm peeing!" I immdiately tell him not to that we are almost to the store where there is a bathroom. This is the first time I gave a thought to the fact that we might have to use a public restroom and my stomach started to turn. I just knew that the potty would be gross and I would just not know what to do. I already had a new pair of shorts bought-in my mind! So, we finally get to the parking lot and I get E out, who proceeds to hold himself and do a little dance. I tell him that we will hurry, but I have to get Jonah first--oh no, what am I going to do with him while I help E pee? No time to worry, I grab J and we're off across the parking lot. I really wish I had a video of us because E is holding himself with one hand and my hand with the other and trying to run all at the same time. I see a cart just outside the door and quickly put J in it and keep running inside. I just pushed the cart and all into the restroom and found the first stall. I guess God was just smiling through this whole endeavor and decided to show me some grace--the potty was clean, or at least clean enough! So I plop E up on it and he pees--ALOT! I was so proud of him being able to hold it until the proper time! Of course everyone in there heard all the crazy talk you have with a 2.5 year old learning to pee and a 10 month old trying to figure out what is going on!
Well, the story doesn't end there. We get to church and are sitting at the table eating. E is up playing with friends and says he needs to pee. So Laura takes J and we're off again. This time is smooth and we're back to the table. Then a few minutes later I heard E say he needs to poop, so I tell him to wait and we're off again. I'm afraid of what may have happened, and sure enough, as soon as I pull his undies down, he has pooped--just a little. So I think this is going to be the time he actually poops in the potty, so I plop him up there and we talk about it, but he SOOOO does not want to do it, and he doesn't. Of course now I'm stuck with dirty undies and no wipes or diaper with me. So, shorts go on with nothing else and we have to go to the truck to get a diaper. He poops two more times in his diaper while we are at church.
So, I guess I'm either going into hibernation or getting over my issues. Since hibernation would bring on many other issues, I guess I'll learn to deal with public restrooms! We're still not there completely, but when we are, I'm sure we'll be using every public restroom we pass!
Friday, September 15, 2006
Potty Training Woes
Posted by Becca on 9/15/2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh, Becca, I laughed out loud while reading this! Emily was wondering what I was laughing about so I read it to her. She said: "Miss Becca is sooo funny!"
Hang in there...you'll make it. And, just think of it this way, when it's time for Jonah to potty train, you'll be a pro and won't care what the potty looks like. :)
glad to read that amanda isn't the only one blogging about pooping.
Oh this is so funny! Much funnier the second time hearing about it.
I guess you could get a portable fold up potty and carry it everywhere with you!!!!!
How funny!! What is it with kids who would rather poop in their diaper than in a potty? Do they like have poop in their pants? Katelyn is really trying our patience with this issue. She'll do great when it comes to pee-peein in the potty, but she pretty much refuses to poop in the potty. She'll hold it for days rather then poop in the potty. Once you put a pull-up on her though, she'll poop within a few minutes! AHHHHHH - how frustrating!! And just think - she's 3! It drives me crazy!! We've had success in the potty a few times, but she prefers to poop in a pull-up. We've tried it all - bribery, sticker chart, money (and if she poops in her pull-up or pants she has to give us the money back), prizes, special treats, taking toys away, painting fingernails & toenails, etc. We've tried it all, and she doesn't care! STUBBORN!!!! They say that when you send your kid to kindergarten he/she is potty trained, but I'm beginning to wonder about Katelyn! At this rate, Jonah will be pooping in the potty before Katelyn does!!!
Post a Comment