Monday, September 18, 2006

Lessons from Grandma

Today the boys and I went to visit my grandma and her husband George. I am ashamed to say when the last time I saw them was, so I'm not going to say. However, I have felt really bad and decided this weekend that we would go see them this week. Since my Grandma can't cook anymore and George says that isn't his specialty, I decided to take them some food too. After all, that is really the least I can do for them! So, we headed out this morning in the yucky rain for a visit. Sometimes I get really sad thinking about how "things used to be" especially with my Grandma. She can't remember things very well anymore and is almost completely deaf. But she is an amazing woman. I have never heard her complain about one thing in life. She just smiles and deals with it and goes on. She chooses to be happy, but I know where her joy comes from. She has had some tough cards dealt to her in life, but through it all she is a shining example of a true Christ-follower. And she is so beautiful, inside and out. I have seen pictures of her when she was younger and she was so pretty!!

As we sat there and visited today she would just look at the boys and smile. I know she gets lonely sometimes and just seeing people brightens her day. E and J are two of her 22 great-grandchildren. What a heritage she has passed on to them all.

She told me how beautiful E's hair was, several times! Then she asked me if they (E&J) were my kids, and when I told her they were she said they both had such pretty blue eyes! She is very perseptive to be in her 80s.

She and George were so appreciative of our visit and the food and it was great for me too. Even though I didn't have too many conversations with my Grandma today, it is always a joy to be around her, and it reminds me of the truly great woman she is. I hope I can look back on my life one day and see that I have had just some of the character and influence and qualities she has had.

If your grandparents are still alive, go see them. Don't be like me and stay away for way too long! It does a body and soul good!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm learning that to get to be a person of such great character and faith as Grandma, you have to start with daily decisions. ie- Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego in Daniel 1 & 3.

Heath