I was dreading the 5 year well-child visit. However, E was dreading it even more than I was! We made plans for daddy to go with us and for little brothers not to go with us. We ended up having a slight change of plans and it was just me and E.
First off, he is a very healthy kid. For that we are extremely thankful. For instance, the last time he went to the doctor was for his 4 year well-child visit! So, bless his heart, he is NOT used to going to see the doctor!
So we talked about what they would do, questions they would ask, etc. And he did superbly at all that--even answered the "trick" questions correctly! His eyes were great, hearing fine, peeing in cup was the highlight.
As the doc was finishing up, he looked over his shot record and told me which ones he needed. At the mention of this E climbed off the stool, got under the table in the corner and began to cry. That was just the beginning. I coaxed him out from the corner the first time by telling him there were germs down there. I know that was probably mean, but I'm sure there were, and it worked. The first time.
The sweet little nurse came in and E was crying even more, and it was quite pitiful. She told me she also had to do a finger prick to check his iron. So we did that first--after much wrangling of the child by both me and the nurse. And after prying his fingers open! Then I had to get his legs "available" for the two shots. Let's just say that he is a strong little boy! We finally got his legs exposed, but never could hold him down long enough to get the shots in. So, the sweet little nurse goes to get back up--the kinda-sweet-not-as-little-let's-get-down-to-business-nurse! It still took some wrangling, but we got the shots in.
I'll have to say, I never was really upset with him for acting the way he did. Although it was quite ridiculous. He was just pitiful and truly afraid. We made it out and he immediately began to think of others. I found a spiderman sticker in the bowl at the checkout and he wanted more to get J a sticker. So we got each of them a sticker. I had promised him a sonic blast afterwards, and he wanted to make sure we got J one too. So we did. He asked me in the van if he had to get shots before every grade. I assured him he did not. He quickly reminded me of the flu shot and wanted to make sure he could always always get the flu mist. I assured him that as long as there is a flu mist, he can get it!
He was worn out after all that, but we are now ready for kindergarten!
On that note, he is being tested tomorrow for a local magnet school. Please say a prayer for him if you think of it in the morning!
I can't believe these five years have gone by so fast!
3 comments:
Awwwww!!!! Poor thing! I can totally relate E! I didn't get over my fear of shots until I had a baby and even now, my stomach gets a little squeamish at the thought. My Luke reacts the exact same way, too. Lots of loving on him this afternoon, Mom & Dad!
At least it's over and done with! Katelyn is usually my good one with shots. Even though she's small, she's tough at shot time. She actually watches them give her the shots and grits her teeth and clenches her fists! For her kindergarten shots last year, she didn't even whimper until it was all over, and then it was for just a second - kind of tears of relief! But this year when it came time for the flu shot, she was the one who really cried while Rachel giggled during her shot!!!
Our schools up here give the Flu Mist for free to all students who want it. Of course, my girls aren't supposed to have the Flu Mist since they have asthma - they have to get the shot.
Good luck tomorrow Eli!!! I'm sure you'll do great! What school is it?
We've already been trying to figure out if we want to request teachers for the girls for next year! It's so hard knowing what to do for your kids' education!!!
Poor E! Ours don't like shots either, so I know it is even less fun when they understand enough to anticipate them. At least they are over and he got treats afterwards!
I hope his testing goes well!
Post a Comment