Tuesday, November 07, 2006

This & That

Just a few things going these days, here is a brief update...
1. We just got home from the doc and we'll be seeing an ENT sometime soon. J's right ear hadn't cleared up at all. He is acting fine, so we aren't doing anything to treat it at the moment. Hopefully the ENT will have some answers! We also are now on Pulmicort for his breathing, in addition to the Albuterol. This is an everyday treatment, so let's hope I can remember to do it everyday! Add that to the Zyrtec I am supposed to remember everyday! Hopefully this will just be through the winter, but we'll just have to wait and see.

2. With all this breathing stuff we had to purchase a nebulizer. Simple, right? Just get the thing, they file with your insurance and you pay the difference of what is not covered. Well, I wish. We got the thing on October 21, a Saturday of course. So, just getting the paperwork to the right person was a feat. So, I left them a check for $50, which of course is cashed. Well, I called the insurance company today to see how much they would cover of the $225 to be billed. They said since I had met J's deductible, they would cover at 90%. Great, but how in the world did I meet the deductible? Well, they say it was transferred from our previous insurance. I should have just taken it at that and gone on with my business. But I was really curious where the $400 came from. I didn't remember paying that much for anything this year. So I called our previous insurance company. It seems they can only come up with $40ish towards J's deductible. So, where did the $400 come from??!? I completely understand that it is to my benefit to leave things alone, but it just isn't right. Well, I couldn't. But I guess it would be way too much work for someone to try to figure it out--all for a few bucks! Stuff like that drives me crazy though. Everything needs to work out, you know? Oh well...

3. I tried another new recipe last night. I'm going to get gaggy just typing this. It was shepherd's pie from pampered chef. I used the easy accent decorator and everything. I was excited to use it because I have had it forever and never used it. As a matter of fact, when I went to get the box, I found two boxes. So if you need an easy accent decorator, I can hook you up. Anyway, I did the mashed potatoes in the decorator and it looked quite similar to the picture in the cookbook. We all had it for dinner and it was good. However, by the time I went to bed I wasn't feeling "right." And about 3am, I was hanging over the toilet. (lovely picture, huh?) Everytime I even thought about that shepherd's pie I thought I would lose it! So Scotty stayed home this morning and got the boys ready and we took them to school. I was feeling better by then, but I had already cancelled my classes, so we went to vote and then I came home! I'm back to normal now. I don't know what it was, but I won't be doing that recipe again any time soon!

4. E had a not-so-great day today. He is such an honest little boy. If you ask him if he did something, he'll tell you. Sometimes he just tells on himself. I guess that is good, but what do I do?? What am I doing wrong? He is such a good kid most of the time, but I just dread walking down the hall at church to get him and not seeing a sucker--his treat for being "good." Any other moms of rowdy 2.5 year olds have any suggestions??

I know it is boring to not see any pictures, so I'll try to get some downloaded soon! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hey Becca! So you've got your very own nebulizer now! What fun!!! We've got two. I've got pictures of the girls sitting together in the recliner both doing their breathing treatments! You kind of get used to having to spend those extra 20-30 minutes each morning & night doing the breathing treatments. Now that the girls are old enough to start using inhalers, it cuts down on our getting ready for school time and our getting ready for bed time! It's awesome! A couple of puffs on an inhaler replaces 30 minutes with the nebulizer!! See what you have to look forward to?!?! What dosage of Pulmicort are you using? We ordered ours in 3 month supplies from mail order, so we have some left over, and the girls aren't using it anymore since they've switched to their inhalers. So if Jonah is using the same dosage, I could give it to you.

Traveling just got more interesting for you since you'll now be having to take along your nebulizer and medication! Seems like it takes a separate piece of luggage just for all of the girls' medication & stuff! Rachel is on Zyrtec, Singulair, Flovent (the inhaler form of Pulmicort), and Xopenex (a form of Albuterol) when needed. Katelyn was on Singulair, but we're seeing how she does without it. She also does Flovent every day and Proventil (a rescue medication like Albuterol & Xopenex) or Xopenex when needed. It's a good thing we have insurance because these allergy/asthma medications are expensive!!

Rachel goes back to the allergist/asthma doctor next week for her checkup. We have to go there every couple of months just so that they can monitor her. Katelyn goes back in December for the same thing. Seems like someone always has a doctor's appointment!!

As a note of encouragement, tubes have been the BEST treatment for Rachel's ear infections - she never got another ear infection after she got tubes! And the breathing treatments, while tedious, do really help! Just remember that the Pulmicort is a preventive medicine, so even when Jonah is doing great, you still need to do the breathing treatments.

Hope you're all doing well!

dreamingBIGdreams said...

we did NOT get a sucker on thursday either!!!!