Do you ever underestimate one of your kiddos? I feel like I have been guilty of that with Jonah. And I think it took this whole potty training issue to remind me of it. Really, it goes back to when he was a baby. You see, his big brother did set the bar high--he slept through the night early, he talked way early, he potty trained easily, etc.
When Jonah came along and could barely say three words (that only I understood) at 12 months I thought he was going to be the "slower" one. That sounds really bad, but I was just worried since I only had Eli to compare him to. Well, it was soon after that he really began talking and so many people commented on how well he was talking, and so early!!
Then comes potty training time. Jonah drinks A LOT of liquid, mainly milk and water. He also pees A LOT!! So, I just assumed he would be a bear to potty train. And even made that comment to several people. He just didn't seem to care if his diaper was wet or dirty, so there didn't seem to be any incentive. A few months ago he showed some interest, so we started down the road. Well, he wasn't really ready and I put him back in diapers. He didn't care. Which proved to me he wasn't ready. Well, a few weeks ago he started bringing it up. He told me he wanted to wear big boy underwear. I told him he had to pee and poop in the potty all the time and he could. And that was pretty much it. Seriously. He started telling me when he had to go and a few days later he was in underwear. He is even staying dry during nap. And most mornings he wakes up dry telling me he has to pee. But he doesn't complain about wearing a pull-up to bed. Such an easy-going kid.
I feel like I TOTALLY didn't give him any credit, and he just proved me wrong. That is his personality. He just goes with the flow and does his thing. He is such a joy and a very loving kid. I love this kid!
He LOVES school, like his big brother, and is learning so much. He has started singing quite a bit, taking it very seriously. Here is his version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
2 comments:
Way to go Jonah!!! I too have been guilty of the same thing with Katelyn. She was the same way - didn't talk as early or as plainly as Rachel did, didn't do other things as early, etc. We would joke to ourselves that she would be the "dumb" one since Rachel did set the bar so high! (I mean how many 1 year olds tell you when you're drawing with chalk on the driveway "Mommy - could you draw a trapezoid?") But Katelyn has proved us all wrong! She has been able to do a lot of physical things earlier than Rachel did (like jump rope, hula hoop, etc.) and she's more advanced than Rachel was starting kindergarten, which is saying quite a lot!!! So, I guess sometimes those second kids just sit back and take everything in and do things all on their own timetable!!!
Great job on the song Jonah!
What a big boy! Good job, Jonah! I especially love the singing. Collin loves singing "Twinkle Little Star", too.
Post a Comment