Friday, September 05, 2008

4%

**I typed this up on Friday but wasn't ready to publish it yet. I'm feeling a little better about things now, but this is still going to be a challenge. I'm just thankful that overall the baby and I are healthy.

I found out today that I fall into that 4% of pregnant women who develop gestational diabetes. (mom said I have always been special!!) To say that I am bummed, would be an understatement. I have tears right now. I have been reading about this as the boys are napping, and I feel like so many others evidently--like a failure. I'm sure the hormones of pregnancy aren't helping either.



I go next week to be educated at the hospital and get my supplies for testing. Honestly, I'm dreading it and looking forward to it all at the same time. I wouldn't say that I'm a terrible eater, but I don't give a ton of thought to it either. I've just never had to really. Overall I'm sure this will help our family and our eating habits.



So, change is coming to my diet. I know this is in the best interest of our baby, and I'm sure that is what I will be reminding myself of A LOT over the next few months. So, if you see me teary-eyed around, just know I'm missing my sweet tea.

4 comments:

The Zehrs said...

I am so sorry! Don't be teary, I'll quit sweet tea with you if it will make you feel better :0)!

Laura said...

You guys need to be here! You can cry about your gestational diabetes, and I'll cry about Katelyn's recent trouble with going to school. We'll cry on each other's shoulders!!! Seriously, I'll be praying for you. I know it'll be tough changing your eating habits - it would be very difficult for me too! Look on the bright side - since you'll be eating healthier, you probably won't gain as much weight which means you'll have less baby weight to lose after having the baby!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this, but I bet it won't be as bad as you think. Look on the bright side, at least this is only a temporary thing and not for the rest of your life like some of us! :0)
Definitely don't feel like a failure! You had no effect on this! If I can ever be of any help or support please let me know! I will be praying for you and the baby.

Amy said...

Oh Bec, I am sorry, but as everyone has said, at least it's not forever! It's just one of those things that happens, you are certainly not to blame. You'll be fine and you'll be back to normal in no time, just with a few extra holes in your fingers! And trust me, from a tea w/splenda drinker - you won't even miss the sweet tea! Okay, maybe a little bit, but we'll help you through!

Love ya girl!
amy h