Sunday, July 20, 2008

Honesty

Honesty, is such a simple word...remember that song? Well, I have been disappointed in people's honesty today. No worries, not anyone I know personally, but business people. S has finally convinced me that we are buying a minivan this year. It isn't like I have much choice, really. We have to have a vehicle that will hold all three kids, and I guess the most reasonable choice is a minivan. So, since I have jumped on the bandwagon, I am ready to have this vehicle. J is not getting any lighter, I'm not getting any smaller, and my back just can't take the lifting much longer.

We have done our research and know pretty specifically what we want, so the search has begun. You know the old saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" is proving itself to me. I have searched the entire southeast and found some pretty good deals. We even called one place today. As S got off the phone, I started looking into what the BBB had to say about these places. I also ran across a website called ripoff something or another. Let's just say the number of vans we are now looking at is quite low.

Why can't people just be honest about things? I'm about ready to give up, at least for a while!

So, have you had a good experience with buying a used van? Please tell me about it.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

We've bought our last two through Carmax and purchased the extended warranty on them. Had a GREAT experience on the lot, in the service center when we had to use the warranty, and just had a good feeling in general. We've had the Honda now for almost two years and haven't had one single problem out of it. We love Carmax! And we love our Odyssey! I'm going to be VERY sad to say goodbye to it when we have to let it go.... Good luck on the search....and welcome to the club!

Anonymous said...

my friend brea has a guy that they buy all their cars from and she is a total mini van momma. she loves her honda odyssey too. her email is breagirl@aol.com if you want to check with her. i forgot the guy's name but she talks about him on her blog all the time. i thin he's probably in north nashville...rivergate/hendersonville area.

we also liked our carmax experience on the lot, but the service center has been another story.

Laura said...

No experience with buying used vans - we bought both of ours new because the rebates & incentives being offered on the new ones actually made them around the same price as a used one. My cousin actually bought her Quest used at the same time we bought our first one new, and ours was CHEAPER than hers - brand new and with no miles!! Have you checked into the new prices vs. used prices? I know lots of dealerships have been offering some pretty big incentives with the economy and gas prices the way they are. We love our Nissan Quests!!! I also like the Sienna and Odyssey. For some reason, I'm not a GM or Ford girl. Hope you find what you're looking for!!!

We've enjoyed switching from a car to a mini-van. I was a little hesitant at first, but it's been so nice!

Becca said...

Thanks girls!!
Alison--I might email your friend to see who she uses!!
Laura--We really aren't interested in new. We're probably looking at a Honda and they don't do rebates or anything but low interest rates, which doesn't matter to us either. SO, we would definitely pay more for new versus used. However, we have some pretty specific and small ranges within used that we are looking at, so that limits us. But we aren't in a big hurry, so hopefully our specifics and price will match up soon!!

Oh, and I looked at Carmax today and nobody had our specifics. I know you just have to keep checking, so I guess that is my job for the next few weeks or months!

TennRT said...

The number might be low, but remember, you are only buying ONE.

Tiffany said...

Hey Becca!

We also had bought our last two cars one a full size truck ~ Chevy Silverado ~ the other a mini-van ~ Pontiac Montana ~ thru carmax. We got decent deals and great vehicles. We did not purchase the extended warranty and had no problems.

The lady I used to work with had a multitude of problems with the car she bought thru carmax and trying to use the ext. warranty she purchased.

So, I think it just really depends on what you buy and how the car was taken care of by the previous owners! :)