It has been a while since I last had a running routine, and here are a few things I have re-discovered about running.
1. Running is good for the body AND mind. There are few times in my day where I can clear my mind. Somehow running seems to do that for me. I know the kids are fine and I let my thoughts go. It really is quite refreshing. For instance, today before I started running I was not having a very good attitude about life. But some 6 miles later, I was feeling much better and probably a little more fun to be around!! I don't just zone out during running, but I don't land on any one thought for too long, usually.
2. Your toenails will probably fall off at some point if you are training for a long distance. I remember reading about that when I was training before but hadn't thought about it in a long time. The past few days I have noticed my big toe toenails have been a little sore. I don't know if I'll lose any this time. Last time I lost one of the big ones--during the summer none the less. That made for some pretty sandal feet, let me tell you. So, if you see me in the next few months and my toes look gross, it's from the running!
3. Training for a race is great for a goal-oriented person like me. I have learned that being a stay-at-home mom of two young boys is hard on a goal-oriented person. At least it has been for me. I mean, I am the list-maker--mark it off the list kind of person. You know, the ones people make fun of because I will put things on my list after the fact, just so I can cross it off!! However, when I first quit my full-time job and tried to keep the task lists going, I got frustrated. Before I basically depended on myself to get things done, but now I have two young subjects who have a say in things. For instance, I might put "clean the bathrooms" on my list and plan to do that during nap time. Sounds reasonable, right? Well, the day I plan to do that nap time ends up being me running from room to room trying to coax the boys to sleep so I can clean the bathrooms!! By the time they are alseep it is time to start the next chore. So, lists are not as much a part of my life anymore. But I do have a running schedule that I stick to. So, once the CMM is behind me, I'll have to find another goal for my fitness. That shouldn't be too hard, I have lots to work on!!
4. Not that I really forgot this, or you really care to know, but I sweat like a crazy person and my face turns VERY red. Today after finishing 6 miles I was drenched. I looked in the mirror when we got in the truck and my hair was wild too. So, if you saw me today (or any other day) after I ran, I apologize for my appearance!
So, there are my running thoughts of late. I am so glad to be running again.
Saturday, March 10, 2007
Running Thoughts
Posted by Becca on 3/10/2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Becca, I promise I will get that apron done this week! I'm so sorry t has taken me so long. Christy
Becca,
Hey! I am proud of you for training for the 1/2 marathon. I have been working out consistently for the past two weeks, too. I've actually gotten Mom to do some weights with me 3 days a week.
I saw a picture of Nick Wilson this past Saturday. I can't believe he's that grown up. How's Scotty's mom? Is she recovering OK? That was a sweet blog about Eli's response to hearing about her wreck.
Well, just wanted to say HELLO! Thanks for blogging. I love reading about your family!!
Love,
Carrie
Keep up the good work, Becca! You're doing great.
Post a Comment