Sunday, July 15, 2007

Much to share--part 2

In numbers, here is what we have done in the last few weeks, in random order:


numerous falls, involving various injuries
1 trip to the dentist
2 trips to the pediatric dentist
1 trip to the pediatrician
2 broken teeth
1 tooth pulled
1 incredibly busted lip
more blood that I care to see ever again
14 bazillion bug bites--poor Eli had them bad
2 sparklers--that is all Eli would do--good thing we spent $2 on fireworks this year!

I have just decided that having kids, specifically boys, will insure that we always meet our medical insurance deductible. AND, we can never have too much put into our medical FSA. I have also learned how important it is to find good health care providers for your family.

We have had to see a number of people in the medical field and have been so blessed to have seen some good ones. A few posts back I mentioned that we took J to a dentist in C-ville after his first fall involving injury. That dentist was so nice and didn't even charge us for the office visit since he just referred us on. Currently we are without a dentist and have been trying to decide who to take E to since it is time for his first visit. Then, J falls and we have to see a pediatric dentist.

The one recommended to us was Pediatric Dentistry in M'boro. We saw Dr. Curry and he was fabulous. The original plan was to just watch J's teeth for about six weeks and see what we need to do then, hoping they would tighten up and life would go on. Well, the night after we saw Dr. Curry, J took a sippy cup to his teeth and broke one even more. He really started to show signs of pain with that tooth, so I took him back to see Dr. Curry. They took more x-rays and decided the tooth needed to come out.

Now, I had convinced S that he didn't need to take off work for this appointment, all would be fine. However, when they told me they couldn't sedate J to remove the tooth, I started to panic. Espcially after they told me I could just hold him in my lap while they removed the tooth!!!! YIKES! But, they really calmed my nerves and said I could call S and they would even wait if he wanted to drive in for it. We ended up going ahead with the procedure since it would have taken S a while to get there. They brought in another dental assistant and the two of them held J and took great care of him. I just stood behind them and tried to reassure J I was there---without seeing the process! J was such a trooper--and Dr. Curry and his staff were great. The tooth was cracked all the way up into the gum. It was one of those freaky things where the dentist had to take the tooth and show the other dentists!!! Looks like we have found a dentist for the boys!! I highly recommend them!

For the next 7 or so years, J will look like this:



He's still cute to me though!! I just keep thinking---do people think we are rednecks because our kid is missing his tooth and he's not even 2?? I feel like I need to explain to everyone why he is missing his tooth! Oh well, maybe that is what people thought about my parents when I lost all four of mine and they were gone for about 4 years!!

I have a few videos to post once I get them uploaded. We went to Uncle Dave Macon Days this weekend and the boys were caught dancing!! They are so funny! Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Maybe you won't have 7 years like this! Maybe it'll be more like 4! Did he start getting his baby teeth early or late? Rachel got her baby teeth early, and then started losing her baby teeth when she was only 4! She's 5 now and has already lost 4 teeth and has 3 more loose! And her 6 year molars are all in - they started coming in shortly after she turned 5. Our dentist told us that typically children who get their baby teeth early tend to lose them early, and children who get their baby teeth late seem to lose them late. Regardless, I would think Jonah woudl start losing them by the time he's 6, so maybe you've just got 4 more years of missing that front tooth!!!

I guess the silver lining of all of this is that you've found a dentist!!!

dreamingBIGdreams said...

He still looks just as cute.

We also use this dentist and they are fabulous there. We took C sometime this past year and he did great and had the best time there.

Jeanne said...

You've had a time of it, haven't you?? Gotta love those boys! We made our first trip to the ER at just under 3 years old...and have had several more since then. So glad to hear you found Dr. Curry. We've been taking the boys there since they started seeing a dentist. We've seen every dentist in the practice and love them all. Secretly, though, Dr. Curry is our favorite.

J still looks cute as button with his missing tooth. And I know you must be glad to have that little episode behind you!