Today was a day full of emotions, varying ones. First, the boys and I headed to C'ville this morning to attend a funeral. The funeral was for Mrs. Flemma Winningham, my first grade teacher, and more importantly, my adopted grandmother. You see, we didn't live in the same town as any of our grandparents, and from very early in my life we had lots of "grandparents" step in. Don't get me wrong, we loved (and love) our own grandparents, but we just didn't see them as often since we didn't live close. Anyway, the Winninghams took us, and many others, into their lives and home. Mr. Winningham passed away several years ago, and Friday Mrs. Winningham joined him in heaven. I know that was such a sweet reunion.
The funeral today was sweet as well. You see, Mrs. W was a very special lady to many people. She was one who set an incredible example for others, but sometimes we don't realize it until we look back. Today as words were spoken about her, it reminded me of qualities she possessed perhaps I didn't realize specifically years ago. She was a very positive person, always seeing the good in people. She especially loved children and was an incredible first grade teacher. Just one of those special teachers who loves on every child. Looking back I realize that I never heard a negative thing come from her. She lived out that thing our mothers said to us all, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!" But she always managed to find something nice to say. She was always "put together." They said that even in the hospital last week she asked that her make-up bag be brought to her! She was such a pretty lady.
The Winninghams lived on an incredible farm. My brothers and I spent many summer days running through the fields, climbing down the steep hill to the creek, fishing in the pond, picking strawberries, and running from the chickens. We somehow managed to spend quite a few winter days down there too. It was said about her today that she always showed hospitality, and she did.
It was also said about her today that she was a jewel among many jewels, and she was. There are several ladies in her age group at church that did the same type things she did. It was so sweet to me to see many of those ladies today. Ladies who loved me and taught me just like Mrs. W. I noticed lots of tears in the eyes of those ladies today, and it reminded me that they had lost a dear friend. Now I know that sounds obvious, but many times when someone has lived a long life, I think we sometimes forget about the relationships they had outside the family. Her friends know she is in a better place, but they miss her. It just shows that relationships are important throughout our life.
Above all, she was ready. She told people she was ready, not just right now, but through many trials in the past. She knew her place in heaven was reserved, and was ready to go when the Lord called her home. It was neat to remember today.
The other emotions I felt today were fear and guilt and relief. After the funeral service I went back to my parents to get the boys. They had a great time without me, and were playing in the little pool outside. We finally started to head inside and I wrapped J in a towel. E and I were already at the door when I heard screams. I turned to see J face down on the concrete. When I got to him, his mouth was filled with blood. To make a long story short, he broke two teeth, we finally found a dentist in C'ville to get us in (this guy was great and didn't even charge us for the visit!!), and we are headed to the pediatric dentist later this week to have some work done. I felt fear for not knowing what was wrong, or how bad it was. I felt guilt for wrapping him in the towel. I also felt guilt for E. Poor little guy was freaked out and I wasn't able to comfort him. E was so shaken that he really wouldn't go to anyone. He finally sat in the chair crying, chin quivering. Fortunately, my sister-in-law was there with us and she helped out tremendously, finally getting E to laugh and loosen up. I finally felt relief when we realized that J was going to be OK. I am sure this will not be the first accident that we have to deal with, and I don't look forward to any others.
It is a bit ironic though. When I was quite young, I had a few falls and ended up losing all four of my top front teeth. I was about 3 when that happened and I went many, many years with no front teeth at all. I told my mom today that I think I am finally realizing some of the emotions and feelings she and my dad had with all the accidents I had as a child! I feel sorry for putting them through all that!!!
I haven't gotten a picture yet of J's mouth, it has just been long enough! We are all spent around here, so we're all going to bed early!! I do apologize for the long post, but whew, what a day!
Monday, July 02, 2007
Emotional Day
Posted by Becca on 7/02/2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Becca- I feel your pain! Collin knocked out his top two teeth at church a couple of years ago-it was such a traumatic time for the both of us! It is so hard to see your child hurt like that, and be unable to comfort the other child as well. We will be praying that the visit with the pediatric dentist will go well (Collin is reading this right now and told me he wants to pray for Jonah right now!!)-Jana
I didn't know it was 2 teeth! I guess I didn't get the whole scoop when you came back from the dentist. So will they work on both teeth at the specialist?
awww looks like he is on the mend today though. thank you for dinner. it was awesome. i can't wait to eat the leftovers!
Oh my gosh! With two boys I'm sure this isn't the last.
I know the feeling of feeling out of control and fear of the unknown.
Isn't it funny how we now realize the feelings our parents had for us when we were growing up. They really did love us!!!
So sorry to read about Jonah's ordeal. I know what you mean about feeling guilty when they get hurt and you can't make it better. I felt that way when Rachel cut her face and had to have stitches. I hope the visit to the pediatric dentist goes well!!
I didn't realize you knocked your teeth out when you were little! What a toothless smile you had for a couple of years!!!
sorry for friend ... when our babies hurt we hurt no matter how old ... sounds like a day full emotion ...loved hearing about Mrs. W .. we all need people like that in our life ...
Post a Comment