Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Just a phase

Do you ever get tired of hearing, and knowing that? Sometimes phases can be tough, wouldn't you agree? Phases in general, but specifically when it comes to kids. If you know me, you know my boys are BOYS--wild, crazy, hand fulls--ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I just get worn out, you know?

Take yesterday for instance. We went to the Y so I could exercise, then we went to the indoor pool to swim with Andie and her kids. It was great, the boys had fun and I only told them to stop running and stay in the pool 100 times. Not too bad, huh? Well, then the fun really starts.

We all three head to the family dressing rooms to get our clothes on. They really need to re-think the door locking system. I get the boys in the shower and proceed to "go potty." I know that is way more than some want to know, but I had to pee, OK?? Well, as I am merely trying to pee, J decides to make a quick escape and jets out the door. Yes, it was locked, but all you have to do is just pull on the handle, and it opens. So I'm trying to get E to keep J in the room and shut the door since I am not dressed appropriately to take care of the situation. Well, to no avail. J goes running out and E follows, NAKED!!! I get myself presentable VERY FAST, and take off. I know the people out there thought we were completely crazed! Nothing like a mom in a bathing suit chasing her toddlers down the hall, one of them having no clothes on and both of them laughing!

So when we get back to our room, I put the bench in front of the door! And, I put J on the baby changing table so he can't move. I put E in the shower hoping against hope he will like it. (He has never taken a true shower, so I wasn't sure how this would go) It was the kind of shower head that you can hold in your hand, so he had a ball. He told me he was getting clean, but it would take a long time because he swam so much! Fine by me--I'll get myself and J dressed. One problem--I left J's regular diapers in the locker OUTSIDE the room! It is never just one thing, is it? Well, we managed to get ourselves dressed and out.



We decided to eat at Wendy's with our friend Andie and her kiddos. It all started off fine, then J decided to throw a complete fit. AND my phone rang twice during this time. My phone NEVER rings, but it was about VBS, so I felt I needed to answer. It was just a day, you know? And it was only lunch time! I was SURE the boys would take great naps and I would shower and clean the house and get everything on my to-do list done. Wrong again. I got the email checked and a quick look at updated blogs and part of a shower, and J wakes up crying. He cannot be consoled except to be in my arms, while I am standing up. He hasn't been feeling great, so I feel like I need to hold him. So, I give him a little TLC and think he will rest on my bed while I continue to get ready--I have a meeting at 4:30 and it is already after 3pm. Well, let's just say it took me a long time to get ready, between holding J and getting snacks and all. Oh, a special thanks to Andie for watching my boys during my meeting!!!! I know she had her hands full today!

I know my kids will only be this age and phase a short time and then they will grow up. But I am telling you something that some phases are just hard. Fun, yes, but hard. I know everyone tells me to "enjoy this time because it flys by." Well, time isn't flying this summer, at least not this week! Do you know how long it has taken me to type this post? Let's just say that I started it during nap yesterday and I now have a 20 month old climbing on me as I type.

Years from now when I am missing these days, I hope and pray that I will seek out a young mother and take her boys (or girls) for a day and let her go have some time alone!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Amen! !!! I am right there with you!! That is one of the reasons I love you and your boys----because they are so much like my boys and you don't think we are crazy!!!!
I can so see that whole Y incident happening to me!!!

lauraknight said...

Becca,
Oh my goodness!! What a story. Your words make me laugh and cry all at the same time. Laugh at the antics you have to deal with with your boys and cry because they are so very precious. I love them so much that they are almost like my own kids.

It does seem like these days that "we will miss someday" go by very slowly at times, but I know that one day all of our kiddos will be gone and we'll miss them and wish they were little again. I don't know how many times I have committed to myself to do the same thing you wrote at the end of your blog about offering to watch a young mom's kids when I am old and gray. I hope and pray that I will follow through.

Kelly said...

I am laughing, Hard and out loud!
I wish I could have seen that!!
I totally am right there with you. It is a season that is short yet filled with long days. We have a family friend who watches our kids. She was a youth worker in Jason's first church and we have stayed close to them all these years. My kids are like grandkids to her. She is such a blessing about taking our kids and coming to our house to take them to the park and eat lunch. Such a great example to me about plugging into young families when mine are grown!

Anonymous said...

it is so comforting to know I am not alone dealing with the antics of little boys! We will have great stories to tell them one day-if we survive!

Ruth said...

Your boys are a hoot, oh man! I love to hear other mother's stories of long days. I just had a flash forward of all of us at senior recognition years from now them crossing the stage. I hope the story of E and the water hose comes to mind so I will laugh and not cry. Your an awesome mom to your boys.