Monday, June 18, 2007

Fathers & VBS

Now I know the title of my post doesn't seem to go together, but those are my topics for discussion.

Obviously, yesterday was Father's Day. Maybe not so obviously, I spent most of my day yesterday working on VBS. So, they are somewhat related. Anywho, I have been so encouraged to see all the posting about fathers. So many of my blogging friends, and other bloggers I just happen to read, posted about not only their father, but their husbands as fathers. I think it is pretty cool that so many of us, myself included, think our husbands are the best father our kids could ask for. I am like so many of you in that I think my husband is the best daddy. He is passionate about being a dad. He loves our kids in a deep and protective way. He loves them and loves being with them. I remember when E was a baby S used to talk about how he couldn't wait until E was big enough to wrestle with and "play rough" with. Well, that time has definitely come and they have so much fun together. J is right there with them too, and they are such a joy to watch. S is so good to walk in the door ready and expecting to be attacked by his two littlest fans. Those boys go crazy when they hear the garage door and that just makes my heart happy!

I am also incredibly blessed to have an awesome dad myself. I am the only girl in the family, well, besides my mom of course. So, I was the princess. Not so much the prissy princess. Anyway, I loved my dad and hanging out with him. He rode me on the motorcycle and didn't complain when I leaned the wrong way in a curve because I was afraid we would tip over. He let me come to his volleyball games and taught me how to play. He came to my ballgames--softball, basketball, volleyball, whatever ball I was playing--and cheered for me and encouraged me, even when I was on the losing team. He taught me to love my mom, and that I would need my mom, and he was right. He would come home from work and I would take his shoes off and rub his feet. (pretty funny since I don't really like to touch feet now!:) We would have tickle wars. He set an example for me as to what a husband and father should be, and that is what I looked for in my husband, and found it. And now that he is a Pop, he loves my boys like he loved us--maybe even a little more!:) I know that because they can wear him out and he keeps coming back for more!

To my dad and to the dad of my kids--thank you for being so great!! I love you both!

Now, on to VBS. Today was our first day and it was great. A little crazy at times, but I think everyone found their way and the kids seemed to have a great time. There are always things to work out, but overall things were great. A great big "HOORAY" for Ms. Ruth and Mr. Allen. They have been preparing for months for this day and week and their efforts are paying off. And great big THANKS to all the volunteers. They have been great and flexible and wonderful and more. Obviously VBS wouldn't happen without them, and they have been great.

Even though I came home and got a nap this afternoon along with the boys, I am headed to bed. 5AM comes early for us not used to getting up and getting out early!

1 comments:

Ruth said...

A big hooray to you, Ms. Becca you have been so easy to work with and so much fun. You are a blessing and I am so thankful for how our friendship has grown over the last couple of weeks as we have worked together on VBS. I am going to miss you next week can you come up and visit?? haha rest.