Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The second child...

What is it with the second child?? I mean I love him to pieces and he is a mama's boy, but he can find his way into things the first child never dreamed of! Or at least he just dreamed of it! Don't get me wrong, he has his share of moments, but this second one just seems to top them!

Preface: he MUST do everything himself! Today at the infamous playland, he pooped. No big deal, we head to the rest room to change it. We change the diaper. As we leave, he wants to open the door, but I already had it opened and walked out. So, he closes it and tries to open it. Somehow in those two seconds, he LOCKS the door! Great, and he can't get it unlocked. My dear friend Ashley, goes to tell "management" we need a key. They say they don't think they have a key. Great. Now, this isn't the type of door you could crawl under, even in dire circumstances. It needs a key to unlock. I notice the door knob isn't moving anymore and then hear the toilet flush. GREAT--he is probably IN the toilet now. All my germ fears are coming true. Fortunately a man in the playland area comes over and pries the door open with one of his keys. And there J is, flushing the toilet over and over. Fortunately he wasn't in it! The scary thing is, he wasn't the least big phased by this!

Life with boys...

11 comments:

dreamingBIGdreams said...

I was just cracking up at this. I wish I could have been there to laugh with you in the moment.

BOYS!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

okay sorry but i am laughing my arse off .... too funny... i have one of those second and third children that seem to have no boundaries even though i have clearly laid them out.

Andie said...

That is too funny. I'm sure you were going out of your mind but it's funny now, right?

My second child is VERY good at doing stuff like this too. So is my third!

Amy said...

I am sure that the toilet at the McDonald's is VERY clean.

Uuuhhhhhh, sure.

Amy

Ruth said...

Oh second children you have to laugh at them or you may end up in jail. I remember calling my mom one morning and it was only 9 and saying "can I tell you all the things M has already done this morning" and told her the list she laughed but I wanted to cry but ended up laugh also. Maybe second children want to make sure they are not the middle child so they help us make the decision not to have anymore. lol

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with my second child. This one time we left him in a funeral home for a couple days. He was scared to death but he was fine. He started talking again in a couple months. Kids are resilient.

Laura said...

Becca - I laughed reading this, although I'm sure at the time it wasn't funny. Part of what makes it funnier is your germ phobia! Glad that you were able to get Jonah out quickly before he could flush himself!!!

lauraknight said...

Oh, how I love Jonah! What a great story...thanks for sharing.

Jeanne said...

Oh, my goodness! I haven't laughed so hard in forever! You're going to look back on this memory with lots of smiles....

And our 2nd child is just exactly as you describe....what IS up with that??

Ashley said...

I still can't believe McD's doesn't have a key for the bathroom. Surely, Jonah isn't the first kid to do that!!! The workers just looked at me like "duh--what do we do!" The one guy said- all he has to do is pull on the knob--I was like, "well, he is pretty little, I don't think we can get him to do that." Sam is the same way. Much more sneaky than John. So far this week he has shaved his "mustache" and cut his hair!!!!

Kristie said...

Too funny!!! :) Tony's always been way more full of mischief than Tyler ever dreamed of. And I think he's done it for us, I think 2 boys are PLENTY!! Thanks for sharing your crazy stories. Love to hear about your boys! :)