Sunday, November 30, 2008

Eating Out

OK, you blog readers, I have a question for you. And I expect you to comment your answer. This is a real question, and I think there are a few of you that read, so send me your thoughts.

First, I like to eat out at restaurants. Most of the time anyway. Sometimes I'm not up for the challenge when taking the young boys along, but overall I like it.

Here's the thing. It costs money--obviously. How do people eat out so much? I mean, I know some people who eat out everyday--seriously! Do you just not keep groceries at home? I'm sure some of you are just wealthy enough to not notice:), but how about the rest of you? What is the trick? (and by the way, we do have a budget, but it seems like we can always spend more than we allow in that category)

9 comments:

Jen Smith said...

When you get an amswer, let me know. We hardly ever go out as a family, maybe 1-2 times a month . Collin & I grab lunch at Chick-fil-A once a week, but that is about it.

Anonymous said...

We eat out more than we should and it shows in the old pocket book. That is a very difficult area for me. As Chris Holloman put it, "I like to be served!"
I have noticed, if we are going to eat out several meals one week, we cut back on the groceries. We just can't afford both.
If you figure this out, please let the rest of us know. Oh to be rich!!! :)

Rodney Knight said...

Becca,

That's a good question... that's why we rarely eat out, and when we do it is mexican, which can be had for about 1/2 the cost and takes a 1/3 of the time.

-rodney

Ashley said...

As you know, we also eat out way too often!! We usually do mexican too...b/c it is cheaper (and b/c I LOVE it)!! Or we try to eat somewhere that the kids (or at least one of them) can eat for free!! Once Sadie starts eating real food, I am sure our eating out will slow down!! Lately, John and I have started eating lunch out more while the kids are at school or ordering take out for us after feeding the kids at home...Is that ugly?

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanne said...

Hmmmm....I don't have any good answers either. Except Rick and I, like Ashley & John, try to sneak away to eat out every chance we get without the kids.

You could also split a meal between the two of you...which is feasible at a place with oversized portions like The Cheesecake Factory...and then have dessert ready to eat at home. And drink water instead of a two dollar coke or sweet tea.

We don't eat out much these days, though, so if you find some really good tips, let us know!

Carey and Norman said...

I've enjoyed catching up on your blog. I cannot believe you are due in a few weeks. I loved the pregnant photo in front of the tree. You definitely look like a basketball is hiding under your shirt. :o)

Loved the Halloween photos too. Very sweet and very boyish!

Keep us posted on your delivery! I still need to mail your Herd music CD to you. I'll work on it this week.

Laura said...

Becca,

As far as eating out goes, we do eat out, but luckily, we don't have expensive taste!!! We typically do to one of our faovrite Italian restaurants here or a Mexican restaourant. Both have free things to munch on (breadsticks & sauce or chips & salsa). We always get water for all 4 of us. And lots of time Robert & I split a meal since the portions are quite large at those restaurants. Also, we don't get the kids meals at those places. We'll get pizza that all of us can share, or we'll get something else that the girls can share with one or both of us. And at the Mexican restaurant, instead of kids meals, the girls get something a la carte. Katelyn does like rice, so we usually give her the rice from our meal. Yes - we do probably eat out more than we really should, but the good thing is our bill is usually just around $13! Not too bad for dinner at a sit down restaurant for a family of 4! And whenever we go to a fast food place, we order off the dollar menu. That way, a burger/sandwich and fries is only around $2!!

Good luck on all of your eating out tips!!!

lauraknight said...

I admit it...I love to eat out!

As Rodney has already mentioned, when we eat out it is most often mexican food. We all like it, it's cheap, and we can split entrees (such as fajitas) and have plenty of food.

Other choices are restaurants with coupons or places that kids eat free. We hardly ever eat out during the week and usually only one time on the weekends if that.

Other tips are to drink water (I don't always do this) and to eat out at lunch instead of supper.

Great question. It's something I've always wondered about too.