Friday, November 05, 2010

Changes in Life

You know, there are a few events in life that really cause your life to change. Some of these are big changes and some are seemingly big changes. I've not always been the type of person to like change. For instance, I remember my parents calling a family meeting one time to discuss moving to another state. It was just a discussion, best I remember, and it did NOT sit well with me. Ended up, we didn't move, and I was quite happy with that. However, over the years I have learned that not all change is bad. In fact, I have embraced many of the changes in my life. For instance, I got married. Love it. I've had kids. Love it. I fell in love with Africa and its people. Love it.

Most recently the change in our family is that I have gone back to work, somewhat full-time. I haven't really worked since Eli turned 1, and he is almost 7!! And we have added 2 kids since then. SO, to say that this has been an adjustment and change to our lives, would be a very correct statement. There are days that I am not sure how we arrived at dinner time so quickly after waking up! The days tend to fly by and yet I seem to accomplish very little. My "Martha" tendencies do not like this.

There are a number of reasons we have chosen for me to go back to work, but most of all we feel like God led us in this direction and provided an incredible opportunity for me and our family. I am learning to say NO more than I am used to, but it has mostly been to "protect" my family. I do not want my family to get the leftovers of me. I am learning how to balance all that our lives entail. I definitely have not mastered this yet! And I am learning to appreciate my family. Some days it is all I can do to get 3 boys and myself ready and out the door by 7:15am and back in the door and to bed by 8:00pm--ish. But even in the craziness, my boys teach me so much.

I have so loved learning from my kids. They are getting to the ages where their sweet (and very much male) personalities are a treat. For instance, Eli reminds me to do my best work, all the time. He is incredibly conscience of his school work and his play. He wants to do things correctly and to the best of his ability, teaching me to strive for excellence. Jonah is teaching me to love life, wherever it takes us. This kids goes big in all that he does. He loves the little things in life--like just being 5 years old, teaching me to make the most of every opportunity!! And sweet Kenan reminds me to cherish the moment.

And this transition would be completely impossible without the support of my amazing husband. He encourages, listens and gives of himself over and over and over again. I could not be more blessed with a partner in life.

So, if you have made it to this point in the post, you are probably wondering the point! :) I guess I'm just trying to justify not updating this old blog since August. It has been one of the things to be told NO, for now. And even now, I have no pictures to put on here. They are still on my camera waiting to be downloaded.

All is well, and I appreciate any of you that still stop by here! Maybe, just maybe, I'll have some pictures or something exciting to post soon!

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Becca,

I feel like I could have written your post. Working full time does lead you to say "no" more than you want. I felt guilty when I first returned to work after our first child. Then, I realized that by saying "yes," I was taking time away from my children when I have limited time left at the end of the day. You will miss some of the friendships that you feel get put on the back burner, but I just pray they know that I still care and am here if they need me. One day, when our children are older we will have time for our friends and us again. Until then, I will be thinking of you as I know how hard life can be!

Anonymous said...

becca- Thanks for sharing your heart and life with us. I well remember that Suiter family meeting talking about the possibility of a move. I am SO GLAD that did not happen. I still remember where I was when I learned of the possibility. I am also SO GLAD for you as you live your dream of having boys and of loving your strong and kind and Godly husband. You are precious to me!