Today the boys and I went out for a little shopping. I decided to take the scenic route home in the hopes that one or more boy might fall asleep for a few minutes. They didn't. But evidently it got Eli's little brain to thinking. Here is how our conversation went...
E: Mom, how old do you have to be to get married?
Me: Well, Eli, there isn't a certain age that you have to be, but most people wait until the finish school and college. So like 24 or 25! :)
E: Oh.
Me: Why did you ask that? Are you thinking about getting married?
E: Noooo....pause....but I do know who I'm going to marry.
Me: *gulp* Really? Who?
E: I'm not telling, it is a secret.
Jonah interjects here that he, too, is going to keep a secret. Random, but I think he just wanted to be part of the conversation. And since Eli had a secret, clearly Jonah needed one too.
Me: (trying to think of the best approach) Oh, c'mon, you can tell me. Is it a girl in your class?
E: No.
Me: (trying to think who else in the world to guess)
E: She is in Mrs. B's class.
Me: Oh, really? So how do you know her? (E is in Mrs. W's class)
E: Oh we have playtime together some. And we really see each other in aftercare.
Me: What does she look like? So, I can know which one she is.
E: She has kinda blondish hair.
Me: Is she pretty?
E: (rolls eyes)...pause... it is Caroline.
Me: Oh, ok. Well, maybe you can point her out to me sometime when I pick you up.
Me: So, when do you think you will get married? (always pushing!!)
E: Can we just not talk about this anymore?
Me: OK
I also found out this weekend that Eli has been having conversations with his classmates about where babies come from. One of his friends has a baby brother a few months younger than Kenan, so she thinks she is well versed in the details just like Eli does. She tried to convince him that babies come from mommy's belly, while he tried to convince her that they actually come for a special place down low!
Wow, I knew this would be a monumental year for Eli, but I didn't exactly envision him learning where babies come from and who he will marry!
Monday, October 26, 2009
Conversations With A 5 Year Old
Posted by Becca on 10/26/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Rain declares that he will marry Sage.
Post a Comment