I have done a fair amount of traveling in my life, and usually like the challenge of the language barrier. However, when ordering food, I am not a fan. But you just have to laugh sometimes. I stopped to order us some take out from a local Mexican restaurant tonight. The guy who took my order was the same one who took it Sunday (yes, that was just a few days ago). Anyway, I knew it would be interesting to see what we ended up with.
To start, as they were getting the food, I asked for a tea. So he brings it to me with a lemon on top. As he hands it to me, he keeps asking me if I like lime. I kept the confused look on my face as he was clearly looking at the lemon. I finally just tell him no thanks--as I don't even like lemon.
When I get home I open the boys tacos. I ordered two soft tacos with fajita chicken, cheese and lettuce. I got two soft tacos with fajita chicken, cheese and onions!! That is just gross. I'm sure the guy thought I was odd ordering onions on my taco, but oh well. I just took them off and the boys ate away.
I wonder if the words for lemon and lime and lettuce and onion are similar in the Spanish language.
Heath?? (that is my brother who speaks Spanish)
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Language Barrier
Posted by Becca on 6/18/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Lemon and lime must be similar because my mother-in-law has the same problem when she orders her water with lime. Now she orders water with lemon and hopes that they bring her lime!
Ok I am totally a novice Spainish speaker--I am trying very hard to learn. I do know that Lemon & Lime are close. Lemon is lĂmon & lime is lima, but onion & lettuce are not close in either language. Onion is cebolla, lettuce is lechuga. (had to look that one up :o)
Lemon and Lime- same word in Spanish
Lettuce (lechuga) and onion (cebolla) not the same
Heath
Post a Comment