Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Tooth

I'm sitting here about to load my final grades in, but I needed to take a moment and post this.

If you didn't know me as a child, you might not know that I was almost always having some type of injury--teeth knocked out, concussion, broken arm and leg at the same time, and on and on. So, as you might expect, I seem to have passed some of that "gene" onto my children. Mainly the second one, but both of them to some degree. You might expect, too, that I would be used to injuries and that it wouldn't bother me too much. Well, there you would be wrong, a little.

A little background. When I was quite young, between 2 and 3 I think, I lost my front teeth. Yes, teeth--all four on the top. This was due to several incidents, eventually leading to the pulling of teeth, literally! So, I went MANY years with NO front teeth on the top. I do have pictures to prove, but those aren't necessary on this blog! Then, after about 5 years of no teeth on top, they had to do a minor procedure to allow my permanent teeth to come in. So, I'm used to this stuff, right?

Well, you probably know that J had a little incident this summer that resulted in one of his top front teeth being pulled. I think I handled it pretty well. He seems to be no worse for it either. So, Thanksgiving rolls around and we are with family and everyone is having a great time. E is playing with my cousin's son and they are having a ball. Of course with two young boys, you are very likely to have a collision sooner or later. And they did, E's mouth to the back of Seth's head. Not a big deal, just a little bleeding, not even real crying. Move on with life.

A few days go by and I think E's tooth is starting to turn a little gray. S thinks I'm crazy, so we do nothing. Well, after a few weeks, it is obvious that his tooth is turning gray. I called the dentist to make sure we don't need to do anything. They want to see him to check it out. So, yesterday morning I take him in and they do an x-ray and examine him--with little cooperation from him I might add! It took a bit of restraining him by me and the dental assistant, while J helped himself to everything in my purse! I digress. So, the dentist is showing me the x-ray and explaining things and just mentions in passing that we'll need to come back in a few days and they will wiggle that tooth out. WAIT A MINUTE HERE!! Did you just say that you were going to pull that tooth?? Just like my other son, the same tooth even? It really caught me by surprise, so I did well to hide my emotions. We scheduled the appointment and left. Oh, did I mention that J pooped right before we went back to the exam room? Lovely.

So as soon as I get in the truck I call S to tell him the news. I break down. Don't ask me why, but this is bothering me more than it probably should. It is just a tooth, right? He will be as cute as his brother, right? We will now have two toothless kids, under the age of 4! I don't know what it is, maybe I feel like it reflects on me as a mother or something, but this has me bummed. By the way, the only other person I have told about this is my mother--that is how upset it has me!! I can't even talk about it! We did tell E last night and he is bothered by it too, so don't say anything to him yet please!!

There, I just needed to get that out. Oh, and now E is sick, so he has to go to the doctor tomorrow. Poor kid is having a bad week!

Now, back to grades...

8 comments:

Alison B. said...

well, at least you didn't leave your kids diapers and wipes in a bathroom in pigeon forge and then have a mommy melt down in the mall when your kid had a soaking wet and nasty dirty diaper. only then could you win the mom of the year award.

hang in there! you are a terrific mother!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry!!!!

I have to ask, why is the dentist going to pull it??? Drew has a grey front tooth as well, I remember when knocked it really hard and now it's grey. Now you have me wondering if I need to take him in.

Hope the week gets better & that Eli starts feeling better.

lauraknight said...

Your boys are precious with or without teeth, and they are so very blessed to have you as their mama!

Just think of the memories you are going to have and stories to tell them when they are older.

Hope today is better.

Laura said...

Don't be so hard on yourself!! Things happen! I remember when Rachel had to have stitches on her face - I wondered how I could have let that happen. But even though we try, we can't always be right there with our kids. And being toothless for a while is really a pretty minor thing! And you'll have some cute pictures too! You need to make a collage of you when you were little & toothless along with Jonah & Eli with their missing teeth!

Hope you're having a better day today!

Jeanne said...

Oh, dear, no wonder you seemed so frazzled last night. Rick even mentioned it to me when we got home. I'm so sorry!!!!

And no...it absolutely does not reflect on you as a momma! Things happen....especially when we have rough and tumble boys! We'll be sure to cover all of you guys tonight when we meet for prayer!

Hope you are having a better day today and that E is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome mommy, and he will be adorable without the tooth! Oh, the joys of raising boys- will we survive?? (I think that is why I am already going gray)

I hope your Thursday was better!

Laura said...

How did Eli's doctor's appointment go yesterday? When does he go back to the dentist? Hope you're having a good Friday!

Megan said...

Good luck at the dentist!