Obviously, I am not a regular blogger! However, on occasion there is something I want to "write" down and need more space than Twitter or Facebook allows. So, here goes my post for the year!
Today is a special day. One year ago today we welcomed Leah Elizabeth into our family of boys. I never posted any details of her birth, and I won't get to gory here, but she did come in dramatic fashion. I guess that is fitting for a girl!
So, on the morning of September 12, 2012, I waddled into the hospital and got nice and cozy in a hospital gown and bed. Our preference was for the experience to be as close to natural as possible. My doctor came in about 7:30 or so and broke my water. This was all it took to get labor in full swing. By 10:30 I was having very regular and very strong contractions. We had seen a few nurses come in and out and I saw my doctor again once, I think. She came in to make sure I was OK because the lady across the hall was not OK and she was going to be taking care of her. At that time I didn't think we were close to delivering a baby, so everyone went on their merry way. About 11am, a nurse came to check on me. I had progressed a little to between 6-7cm. I was a frustrated a little, thinking I would have been further along after 3.5 hours of labor. I got up to use the restroom and got back in bed. The nurse left. I think about 2.5 seconds after she walked out the contractions hit BIG TIME. And by BIG TIME, I mean it. Now, I have had 3 babies (2 naturally), and honestly, I never raised my voice once with any of them. This time was different. I was in serious pain. I told Scotty I needed him to get a nurse to come back in. He knew my doctor and original nurse were across the hall working on a lady (we had picked up it was not a good situation), so he stuck his head out the door to look for anyone walking down the hall. IT WAS EMPTY, of course. He is an amazing partner and was reminding me to breathe, and all that other good stuff he is supposed to do. However, there was no deep breathing or relaxing or anything of the sort happening. I finally asked him, ever so politely I am sure, to push the nurse call button!!!
In a matter of moments, a nurse walks in to our room. We had not even seen this nurse before, except at Jonah's birth, 7 years prior!! But we loved her then and knew we were in good hands. I explained, in no uncertain terms, that I was going to push. She realized rather quickly that she was going to be delivering the baby. She very calmly made a call to get some help and a call to the NICU (we had a meconium issue) and she told Scotty he could boil some towels! She was only halfway kidding. He was a trooper for sure and would have delivered that baby if he needed to. There was no time to break down the bed and get things in place to deliver this baby, so about 2 minutes after she walked in the room, she delivered our sweet baby girl!! From that point on it was a little chaotic in the room. My doctor came back it to realize she missed the birth and was so very apologetic. I really didn't care at that point, I was just glad it was over!! And, she literally was saving a woman's life, so I really could not complain. And my nurse was AWESOME!!
LB was checked good by the NICU nurses and passed every test with flying colors. They wrapped her up and brought her to me. Y'all. I haven't been the same since. I got to watch my man melt as he held his baby girl. The baby girl he (and I) really never knew we needed.
This last year she has brought such a new and refreshing spunk to our house. Her brothers are absolutely crazy about her. I have loved every minute of watching them with her. Even the scary ones, where they carry her upside down! I know she adores them already. They love to make her smile. They do not like it when she cries. She is going to be totally rotten.
Happy Birthday Leah Beth, your boys and I love you. We have celebrated today and will celebrate more this weekend! A girl's first birthday only happens once, after all!
It is so encouraging to look back over our lives and see clearly that God is in control. I am thankful He knows best and His plans are not always our plans.
Since I flood social media with pictures on a daily basis, I will post only one here. This is my favorite of LB from our time at the beach this summer.
Thanks for reading and thanks for loving our sweet girl. I know I gush about her and I appreciate those of you who allow me to do so. Maybe I'll post again in another year!
0 comments:
Post a Comment