Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Grandma

Today we celebrated the life of my Grandma. She met Jesus face to face on Tuesday, February 15, 2011. This week has been especially busy for me while Scotty has been in West Africa, but I wanted to "jot" a few things down that I remember most about my Grandma. If you had been at the service today you would have heard from everyone who spoke that my Grandma loved Jesus and she loved people. If you knew her, you knew this about her. Below are some of my fondest memories of my Grandma.

This picture was taken Thanksgiving weekend 2008. This is the group of great-grandkids that were there. My grandma couldn't hear very well and I think she saw all the adults making funny faces to get the kids to smile and she just imitated us. Of course, none of us knew at the time that she had made a face since we were all focused on the kids. So when I downloaded the pictures and saw this one it just made my day. And even now, over 2 years later it makes my day.




My Grandma was a very special lady to many people. She was one of those people that was loved by any and everyone that met her. She had a way of making each one of her grandkids feel special. She was a Godly lady. Her life is an incredible example of how to live a life pleasing to God.

I remember as a kid I loved to feel my Grandma's fingers. I guess I was too young to realize it probably wasn't a compliment to her, but her fingers were so wrinkly soft! She was always "put together" and was a very pretty lady. She had the bluest of blue eyes. She had the best laugh and always said, "oh gee" at the end of it, in the sweetest way.

Our extended family would get together at Thanksgiving each year and one thing we did was to play games. She was always up for joining us and it was a hoot. I know all my cousins remember playing "Read My Lips" the year she joined in. I don't even know if that is still a game. But the game was just like the name, you tried to guess what the person was saying by reading their lips. Well, she took a turn. We all sat there quietly and watched her. She looked at her card and finally looked at us and whispered loudly, "The Scarlet Letter." Well, we all busted out laughing. We tried to explain that she couldn't actually say it, just mouth it. She was convinced that she wasn't actually saying it, which made it all the funnier. Of course she just laughed right along with us.

She loved to laugh and she didn't mind laughing at herself.

I remember going to see her and Papa George and sitting at the kitchen table and just talking. She always had tons of pictures out and loved to go through them and talk about them. I loved to hear her talk about the old family pictures. I remember her talking about her sisters Annie and Lottie most. I loved their names. I love her name: Minnie Lucile Smith Suiter Boykin.

I have no idea when my Grandma got false teeth, but I really don't remember her not having them. I absolutely loved it when she took her teeth out and talked. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

As she got older, like in her 80s, we would remind her how old she was. (In a reminding way, not a mean way) She would always have a look of surprise and say, "Wow, I never thought I would live to be 81!" She had 4 kids, 13 grandkids and 29 great-grandkids. She was an incredible example for each one.

These are some of the things and times I will remember about my Grandma. But the lessons she taught me, and so many others, by simply living her life are too many to list. I saw her choose JOY in her life. I saw her choose to FORGIVE in her life. I saw her choose to LOVE. She chose these things in good times and in not-so-good times. She didn't have to preach because she lived the life God called her to live. I know that on Tuesday as she stood before God he gladly said to her, "well done my good and faithful servant."

I will miss my Grandma, but I know I will see her again.

She was a Godly woman. She always spoke the truth in love. She forgave freely. She loved deeply. She believed in Jesus and was ready to meet him.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Beck,this is such a sweet post. Makes me wish that I had known your grandmother!

Ashley said...

And no,I didn't just give you a new nickname.....thank you autcorrect!